Truthfully, the Disney toon movie really does offer such vivid characterisations and unforgettable set pieces that I wouldn’t argue with you if you tried to tell me it improved upon the original material, or at least created something so worthwhile on its own terms it becomes every bit as essential. It’s the Soft Cell’s Tainted Love of Disney animated movies.
So it’s either ambitious or foolhardy of Disney to decide they want another pop at it.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, the studio have set Street Fighter and He-Man screenwriter Justin Marks to work on a screenplay for a live-action version.
Sounds to me like they’re planning an “action adventure” spin where Shere Khan will be more Richard Parker than George Sanders, where the bear necessities are a CG beast with a lion’s roar.
We’re a good way out from this just yet, but that’s okay – the animated version is coming to Blu-ray in a few months and that’s more than enough for now.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014