According to The Hollywood Reporter Dev Patel may be in line to play the lead role in Neil Blomkamp’s Chappie, Blomkamp’s next film after Elysium.
Chappie is based on a short Blomkamp made in 2004, entitled Tetra Vaal. The short is just over a minute and a half and is a faux advertisement for a robot police officer. Here it is.
Not too much is currently known about Chappie, beyond it being based on the above short, but we do know that Sharlto Copley has been cast as the robotic cop, the Chappie of the title.
It’ll be interesting to see if he’ll appear in a suit, like the original Robocop, or whether his character will be created with motion capture. Or maybe he’ll just provide the voice of the robot.
The Hollywood Reporter state that if Patel is cast, he’ll play
…a young man in the impoverished town.
As Chappie was reported to be comedy, my mind is already racing as to possible comedic scenarios featuring this human character and Copley’s robot police officer.
- Now Is The Time To Buy Six Feet Under And Big Love - October 30, 2013
- Evil Dead Remake Writer And Director No Longer Involved In The Sequel - October 30, 2013
- Alternate Poster For Blue Is The Warmest Color - October 29, 2013
- New Trailer For Martin Scorsese’s The Wolf Of Wall Street - October 29, 2013
- London Will Fall In The Sequel To Olympus Has Fallen - October 29, 2013