Jumps and scares aren’t really what generally attracts me to horror films. A lot of my favourite horrors hold that place because they play with interesting ideas and reflect back on the world in insightful ways. That said I do love the technical expertise that goes into playing with an audience, unsettling them and ensuring they grab their partner’s arm and fling their popcorn in the air.
It’s something that certain filmmakers really have a talent for and even though, based on his previous films, James Wan may not be up there with someone like John Carpenter when it comes to crafting creepy, jumpy horrors he’s certainly no slouch either.
The following clips do a great job of providing some strong hints at the kind of scares that The Conjuring may provide and I have a feeling audiences will be leaping out of their seats a great deal.
I’ve saved the best till last and this final clip, ‘I know where you’re hiding’, is particularly effective due to an uneasy atmosphere and the way in which Wan really plays on our empathy for a character unable to see.
The Conjuring is out it America on the 19th of July and on the 2nd of August in the UK.
- Now Is The Time To Buy Six Feet Under And Big Love - October 30, 2013
- Evil Dead Remake Writer And Director No Longer Involved In The Sequel - October 30, 2013
- Alternate Poster For Blue Is The Warmest Color - October 29, 2013
- New Trailer For Martin Scorsese’s The Wolf Of Wall Street - October 29, 2013
- London Will Fall In The Sequel To Olympus Has Fallen - October 29, 2013