A teen movie set during the summer and with twinges of an eighties vibe throughout would seem to be the perfect recipe for an overload of nostalgia but, happily, there’s a lot more to The Way, Way Back than that. Indeed, this is one of the best American films about the dissonance between teenagers and adults I’ve seen in a good long while.
Here’s a new UK cut of the film’s trailer.
Steve Carell and Sam Rockwell play somewhat against type, particularly Carell, though both are excellent, and Liam James makes for a likeable lead, if perhaps not a star in the making, just yet.
The film is the directorial debut of Nat Faxon and Jim Rash, previously best known for their sitcom roles and scooping Oscars with their script for The Descendants. They’re both in The Way, Way Back too, as you likely spotted in the trailer. If this makes them triple threats, then I think it’s fair to say their writing and acting is a touch more intimidating than their directing.
The Way, Way Back is released in the US on July 5 and will come to the UK on August 28.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014