Jill Soloway has been writing and producing television for some time but Afternoon Delight marks her first foray into feature film writing and directing. If reviews from this year’s Sundance are to be believed, it’s proving to be a successful move and she even picked up a directing award at the fest for her troubles.
Afternoon Delight stars Kathryn Hahn as Rachel, a woman who invites a stripper, played by Juno Temple into her life and home after visiting a strip club and receiving a lap-dance from her.
The trip was an attempt to spice up her flagging relationship with her husband, played by Josh Radnor, but unsurprisingly the introduction of a stripper into their home instead leads to friction.
A lot of the ideas and themes that are hinted at there feel very familiar – thirty-something anxiety and the character of a hooker with a heart of gold to name just two – but there are plenty of promising observational moments too.
There do seem to be rather a lot of dramedies that come out of Sundance each year but the signs appear to point to this being one of the better ones.
Afternoon Delight will receive a limited release in America on the 23rd of August. No word on a UK release date yet though.
- Now Is The Time To Buy Six Feet Under And Big Love - October 30, 2013
- Evil Dead Remake Writer And Director No Longer Involved In The Sequel - October 30, 2013
- Alternate Poster For Blue Is The Warmest Color - October 29, 2013
- New Trailer For Martin Scorsese’s The Wolf Of Wall Street - October 29, 2013
- London Will Fall In The Sequel To Olympus Has Fallen - October 29, 2013