Eduardo Sànchez has made a number of other pictures since his Blair Witch breakout, most recently getting back in with the cool kids by directing the Ride in the Park segment for VHS 2. It’s unlikely that anything Sànchez does will ever match the impact of his debut, but he’s still got an eye for that odd opportunity or novel approach.
Speaking to The Frederick News-Post, Sànchez says he’s racing a Wal-Mart redevelopment to make use of an abandoned mall in Frederick Town, Maryland. He’s currently writing a screenplay inspired by:
the cavernous mall’s empty spaces.
And seeing as redevelopment is drawing in, urgent discussions are underway with the Frederick Film Office. They promise:
We’re pushing hard. It’s good for the local economy.
I hope Sanchez gets his way and makes his mall movie. If nothing else, this will preserve a bit of commercial history before it’s paved over by Wal-Mart.
Here’s a video taken inside the mall when it was all but empty.
This story was hidden from the front page of Bleeding Cool and pushed out only through our @bcoolfilm Twitter account. Please share the tweet and help me build an audience. The more followers I can get for the account, the more exclusives and extra things I can bring you.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014