Baltasar Kormàkur has two films released in the UK over the next couple of months – the tense sea thriller The Deep and apparent action romp 2 Guns – and I shared the trailers for both just a few days ago.
Next up, though, he’s set for the mountaineering picture, Everest, set on the world’s highest mountain.* While financing for the film is still just clicking into place, Christian Bale became attached to star back in February.
I just spoke to Kormàkur, mainly about The Deep, a little about 2 Guns and just for a second, about Everest. Here’s what he had to say about the latter:
I’m most likely doing a picture called Everest with Working Title. That’s a project we’ve been putting together and now looks like it’s going to go this fall. Simon Beaufoy is working on it now, as we speak. We’re out to actors but I can’t really tell you… they are on the final stages of putting the financing together. It’s probably going to be more difficult than The Deep in some ways. I’m not as good with altitude as I am with ocean.
Beaufoy was the writer of Slumdog Millionaire and The Fully Monty, amongst others. For Everest he’ll be recounting the true story of how three expeditions up the mountain in 1996 lead to tragedy. It may be his experience on 127 Hours that comes in the most useful here.
The Deep is released in the UK on July 12th, with 2 Guns following on August 16th. More from Kormàkur on The Deep soon.
*From sea level.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014