Director Roland Emmerich and producer Dean Devlin have often declared their plans to make not one but two Independence Day sequels. Last September Emmerich even named the films, calling them ID Forever Part One and ID Forever Part Two.
Well, 20th Century Fox’s release schedule doesn’t agree. The studio have just made an Independence Day sequel official by giving it a release date, but there’s none of that goofy ID Forever stuff.
Nope. They’re just going with Independence Day 2. For now, anyhow.
You won’t be surprised to hear that the film has been slotted into July 3rd 2015.
Jeff Goldblum recently committed himself to the film in a not-entirely-contractually-binding fashion, but I’m sure we can expect him back. I’d also think Will Smith is a real possibility, especially since After Earth‘s box office has given his superstar image a bit of a scuff.
Once upon a time, Emmerich was slated to direct a small alien invasion film called The Zone but that was shut down a week before shooting. Just a few weeks back, Emmerich snapped up the pitch for yet another alien invasion pic, Emergence. I guess he just really, really likes the genre.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014