While paparazzi pictures of Shailene Woodley on set made it pretty obvious that Mary Jane Watson had been written a role in the next Amazing Spider-Man movie, the actress’ early wrap date made it similarly clear that the role was a small one.
And now, according Woodley herself, it has been cut from the film altogether.
Speaking to EW for their current print issue, the actress said:
Of course I’m bummed… but I’m a firm believer in everything happening for a specific reason….based on the proposed plot, I completely understand holding off on introducing [Mary Jane] until the next film.
Thanks to SHH for the transcript.
I wonder what other implications this decision might have. Will it be related to Sony’s recent commitment to a a third and fourth film in the series? How much is Amazing Spider-Man 2 being reworked and re-edited? Will MJ just pop out cleanly or will there be a lot of reconfiguration necessary? I doubt she’ll get to meet Gwen Stacy now… unless there are flashbacks.
And… well, we presume that Woodley will return, and that the role won’t be recast, but that possibility is there now, I suppose.
At the very least, they could change their plans for a hammer-wielding, sandwich maker and go for an MJ more like the model-turned-actress of the Raimi era.
I kind of hope they don’t, though. We’ve had that one already.
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 will be along on May 2nd next year.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014