So a certain film came out this week. Man Of Steel. Mark Waid was disappointed. But others have lept upon the film to talk about… other things.
Such as the Tumblr blog We Are The American Way, full of people posting photos of themselves holding up a history of their immigration status with a Superman shield. And yes, mostly but not exclusively young women.
While over on MANOFSTEELRESOURCES.COM, the MinistryResources.org is providing Man Of Steel related sermons, visuals, videos and trailers for clergy who want to use a little Superman in their Sunday speeches.
As the story unfolds in Man of Steel, we watch Clark Kent struggle with the reality of who he is and what he alone can do. His adopted parents, Jonathan and Martha Kent (played by Kevin Costner and Diane Lane) do all they can, but the mission in front of him is ultimately his and his alone.
He is undaunted in doing what is right. He alone can save the world. But the cost is total — taking on the full assault of an enemy who would stop at nothing to destroy every member of the human race. This enemy is someone Superman alone can stop, and only through extreme personal sacrifice.
This is an age-old story, played out powerfully here, but echoing the best of the mission of Jesus in the New Testament. Think of the mirror reflection: From a place far beyond earth, sent by the love of a Father, Superman gives up all to come to live among a people doomed to death. Nurtured by adoptive parents, he stands in for justice and truth, but ultimately steps in to save humanity.
Yeah, I dunno, I still don’t approve of what he did to Judas at the end.
- Chris Ware, Cosey And Larcenet Are Three Finalists For Angoulême’s Grand Prix , After Alan Moore Pulled Out Again - January 19, 2017
- VIDEO – Stan Lee Unboxes His First Box As His Second Goes Silver Age - January 19, 2017
- Image And Boom Are Diamond’s Comics Publishers Of The Year – The 2016 Gem Awards Results - January 19, 2017
- What If DC Were Publishing A Batman/Shadow Comic By Snyder, Orlando And Rossmo, But No One Made A Sound? - January 19, 2017
- Gendercrunching November 2016 – Marvel, DC, Boom, Titan, Dynamite And Valiant - January 19, 2017