Around the time of the launch of the New 52, David Brothers posted an article noting one of Scott Snyder‘s writing tics, that of the narrator talking about the time when they were a boy in caption boxes. Here are some examples from American Vampire, Detective Comics, Swamp Thing and Severed.
It was something he seemed to initially keep up with on the New 52 Batman comic.
But that was only in earlier issues. Of late, not so much. In fact we haven’t really seen them for a year-and-a-half. One of those tools that he decided to put back in the toolbox. I was starting to miss them.
Well, in Superman Unchained #1 it came back with a bang!
Well, it does suit a book that’s rewriting the history of the New 52, to have the Boy Scout go back to his past, however wistfully.
Oh, how the ghost of you clings…
- The Swag Of Thought Bubble 2017 From An AirBnB That Has Not Burnt Down – Yet - September 24, 2017
- Bleeding Cool Bestseller List – September 24th, 2017 – “Metal Is Absolutely Crushing Everything Else” - September 24, 2017
- Lying In The Gutters – September 25th, 2017 – Squirrelled Away - September 24, 2017
- What Is Your Comic Shop History? - September 24, 2017
- Not Another Zombie Comic - September 24, 2017