Around the time of the launch of the New 52, David Brothers posted an article noting one of Scott Snyder‘s writing tics, that of the narrator talking about the time when they were a boy in caption boxes. Here are some examples from American Vampire, Detective Comics, Swamp Thing and Severed.
It was something he seemed to initially keep up with on the New 52 Batman comic.
But that was only in earlier issues. Of late, not so much. In fact we haven’t really seen them for a year-and-a-half. One of those tools that he decided to put back in the toolbox. I was starting to miss them.
Well, in Superman Unchained #1 it came back with a bang!
Well, it does suit a book that’s rewriting the history of the New 52, to have the Boy Scout go back to his past, however wistfully.
Oh, how the ghost of you clings…
- Will Rosada Joins Catalyst Prime’s Free Comic Book Day - January 20, 2017
- Plague Of Locusts, Frogs Fall From Sky And Witchblade Returns As A TV Series Again - January 20, 2017
- Don’t Fear Kim Reaper…. Supernatural Romance Leads Oni Press’ Solicits For April 2017 - January 20, 2017
- Jim Lee And Tula Lotay’s Take On Warren Ellis And Jon Davis-Hunt’s The Wild Storm - January 20, 2017
- When Dark Knight Fan President Donald Trump Quoted Bane In His Inauguration Speech - January 20, 2017