Around the time of the launch of the New 52, David Brothers posted an article noting one of Scott Snyder‘s writing tics, that of the narrator talking about the time when they were a boy in caption boxes. Here are some examples from American Vampire, Detective Comics, Swamp Thing and Severed.
It was something he seemed to initially keep up with on the New 52 Batman comic.
But that was only in earlier issues. Of late, not so much. In fact we haven’t really seen them for a year-and-a-half. One of those tools that he decided to put back in the toolbox. I was starting to miss them.
Well, in Superman Unchained #1 it came back with a bang!
Well, it does suit a book that’s rewriting the history of the New 52, to have the Boy Scout go back to his past, however wistfully.
Oh, how the ghost of you clings…
- Rewriting Superman From Scratch In Action Comics #978 – With A Little Help From Secret Origin - April 24, 2017
- The Fake Jack Kirby Art That Sold For Over $2500 On eBay? - April 24, 2017
- Let’s All Watch A Video About How Diamond Have Changed Their Olive Branch Distribution Centre - April 24, 2017
- Does Your Copy Of Secret Empire #0 Have A Misprint On Page 2? - April 24, 2017
- Process Is The Topic of the Day At C2E2’s Writing For Comics Panel - April 24, 2017