Around the time of the launch of the New 52, David Brothers posted an article noting one of Scott Snyder‘s writing tics, that of the narrator talking about the time when they were a boy in caption boxes. Here are some examples from American Vampire, Detective Comics, Swamp Thing and Severed.
It was something he seemed to initially keep up with on the New 52 Batman comic.
But that was only in earlier issues. Of late, not so much. In fact we haven’t really seen them for a year-and-a-half. One of those tools that he decided to put back in the toolbox. I was starting to miss them.
Well, in Superman Unchained #1 it came back with a bang!
Well, it does suit a book that’s rewriting the history of the New 52, to have the Boy Scout go back to his past, however wistfully.
Oh, how the ghost of you clings…
- Cincinnati ComiCon No More, After Four Years - February 19, 2017
- Bleeding Cool Bestseller List – 19th February 2017 – DC Has 6, Image Has 3, Marvel Has 1… - February 19, 2017
- Lying In The Gutters 19th February 2017 – The Dark Affleck May Not Return? - February 19, 2017
- The Top 100 Ordered Comics Of January 2017 (Including The Ones That Weren’t Ordered As Well) - February 19, 2017
- Gendercrunching December 2016 – The Year In Genderetrospect - February 19, 2017