Around the time of the launch of the New 52, David Brothers posted an article noting one of Scott Snyder‘s writing tics, that of the narrator talking about the time when they were a boy in caption boxes. Here are some examples from American Vampire, Detective Comics, Swamp Thing and Severed.
It was something he seemed to initially keep up with on the New 52 Batman comic.
But that was only in earlier issues. Of late, not so much. In fact we haven’t really seen them for a year-and-a-half. One of those tools that he decided to put back in the toolbox. I was starting to miss them.
Well, in Superman Unchained #1 it came back with a bang!
Well, it does suit a book that’s rewriting the history of the New 52, to have the Boy Scout go back to his past, however wistfully.
Oh, how the ghost of you clings…
- Two TV Commercials From DC Comics For the New Age of Heroes Line - January 17, 2018
- For Those of You Still Reading Generation X… Something Special For Jubilee (#86 Spoilers) - January 17, 2018
- Brian Wood and Jorge Coelho’s Robocop: Citizens Arrest Looks to Explore Social Justice - January 17, 2018
- Ludocrats from Kieron Gillen, David Lafuente, and Jim Rossignol is Coming Soon, Honest - January 17, 2018
- Now Glénat to Publish Conan Comics, as It’s All Public Domain in Europe - January 17, 2018