But this masterplan, they unanimously claimed, was contingent on Man of Steel‘s box office performance.
I understand the caution, but I really don’t think they have too much to worry about. So let’s take it as read that Warners are going to forge ahead with more movies in their new DC Movieverse. Because they are.
And given this, you might assume that Batman would be high priority. He’s tried, he’s tested, and he’s been in more tentpoles over the last twenty five years than any other superhero.
But maybe the studio are looking to bench Bruce Wayne for a while. Maybe they just consider him a bit overplayed, or maybe they don’t want to mess with the memory of Nolan’s films just yet, but there’s been no credible info on a new Batmovie being in the works.
So who else might they turn to? Unsurprisingly, it would be members of the Justice League.
The Wrap have a report on how Warner Bros.’ hopes for a new, dependable franchise rest on Man of Steel. Here’s their take on the studio’s superhero slate:
That includes kicking the tires on films for Wonder Woman and Aquaman. Warner Bros.’ plan would be to release two Man of Steel films before moving on to the Justice League, a project everyone at Warner Bros. unofficially acknowledges is being developed.
What exactly would “kicking the tires” entail in this case? I expect the studio are speaking to writers and listening to pitches. What else could it be?
I’d expect that the list of possible characters is longer, too. At least longer to the count of one Flash.
More on Man of Steel and the future of the DC Movieverse later.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014