by Chris Thompson
Taylor & I continue our look at this year’s Eisner nominees with a focus on the self-published work of Becky Cloonan. Becky is nominated in the category of Best Single Issue for The Mire, and has just released her latest mini-comic, Demeter, through her own Ink & Thunder label. We look at the two books in detail and discuss why we love Cloonan’s work so much. It’s perfect timing as this week also sees the release of her latest project, The True Lives Of The Fabulous Killjoys, from Dark Horse Comics. You can hear a full review of Killjoys #1, along with a very special interview, next week.
If that’s not enough, Becky also drops in to discuss her work and process, particularly when it comes to self-publishing. We look at her early days producing mini-comics with the Meathaus collective, how her approach differs from black & white to color, the overall writing and scripting process, what it means to be nominated for an Eisner, and her collaboration with Gerard Way & Shaun Simon on The Killjoys. It’s a great opportunity to understand the creative process from the point where writing and art meet.
To get in touch, send feedback or submit projects for consideration, please email email@example.com. And if you missed last week’s episode (or any others) you can find them right here or subscribe via iTunes. You can also support the Pop Culture Hound podcast by clicking here to make a donation.Your contributions will help us maintain the site, get new equipment, and encourage us to keep going on those cold lonely nights.
You can purchase The Mire, Demeter, and her previous release Wolves for yourself right here:
- Comics Folk Eat Popcorn While Reading The #FyreFestival Hashtag… - April 28, 2017
- Unboxing April 2017’s Loot Crate And Skybound – With Comics From X-Files To Extremity… - April 28, 2017
- Digital Sales Down, Print Sales Up, The Paperback Is Powering Back Up - April 28, 2017
- There Will Be Two America #4 Comics In Comic Stores A Week Of Each Other - April 28, 2017
- Two Iowa Comic Book Stores Close, One Week Of Each Other - April 28, 2017