I wasn’t sure if I could call her Princess Diana but apparently so. I guess Diana Spencer was the Princess of Wales even after the divorce from Charles Windsor. I wonder if the Welsh still had to bow and scrape and sacrifice seven virgins to her every harvest?
This trailer seems to have two missions in mind. On the one hand, it wants to play up Diana’s status, almost as though she’s a figure of legend. Someone will undoubtedly now tell me that she is. That might be a hard sell.
At the same time, the trailermakers also playing games with how much Naomi Watts captures Spencer’s likeness. She does look quite a lot like her. Just prettier. But that’s the movie business for you.
Keeping Watts’ face hidden, making that big deal out of her turning around and then finally ending on the close up of her eyes is all selling this film on notions of “looky likey ness.” Yawn. And undermined by MSN’s thumbnail.
The thing that has me most interested, for now, is how none of the Windsors seem to be involved at all. This looks like a Di & Dodi story, and I have to say, I’m curious what director Oliver Hirschbiegel and company will be making out of that.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014