It seems that Nick Ranieri, a veteran of almost 25 years at Walt Disney Animation Studios, has decided to mark the end of his employment with a treat for fans.
Here’s his newly-released video of Wreck-It Ralph in hand drawn animation.
I was asked to animate the character of Ralph from Wreck-it Ralph, as a guide for the animation of the character in the film.
Now, posting this video wasn’t just an act of generosity. Ranieri is making a point. His time at Disney has now come to an end because the studio recently made most of its hand drawn animation talent redundant.
Here’s a statement he posted to his Facebook page, as quoted in the description of the above video:
I’m not so much sad that I was let go as I am sad that they gave up on a medium that, if given the right treatment, could be a viable product once again.
He’s not wrong about that. I’m absolutely sure that audiences can still embrace hand drawn animation.
It’s also worth noting that today, with some sad irony, Disney unveiled the “previously unseen” Mickey Mouse short Get A Horse! at the Annecy festival.
It might spoil a few surprises to say too much, but that film certainly required some hand drawn animation…
I hope somebody will put Ranieri to work on something soon and stop that talent going to waste.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014