On the basis of this trailer, Spook Central is looking somewhat like Room 237, the recent documentary about far-flung and hell-bent viewer interpretations of The Shining. Except it isn’t about a Stanley Kubrick film, something we would expect to attract a lot of crazy talk. It’s about Ghostbusters.
I guess anything that mentions the occult will draw a certain amount of “specialist interest.”
Here’s a free poster quote if anybody wants one:
Spook Central? Crank Central, more like.
That looks every bit as amusing as Room 237, and every bat as daffy and spurious. Scratch that – it looks twice as daffy and spurious, and Room 237 was already full of the hysterically tenuous.
I’m sure there are a lot more possibilities for this odd new subgenre yet. Surely Wes Anderson’s OCD approaches lend themselves to this kind of “study.” And Christopher Nolan certainly has a few of the right fans.
I wouldn’t be surprised if somebody starts faking these things too, hiring voice over artists to read a prepared, possibly satirical script rather than rounding up real theorists for interviews. Especially if these films keep finding distribution.
Or maybe they’ve already begun…
Thanks to Tyler Foster for the embed.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014