I haven’t managed to corroborate a single detail of their story but Starburst have claimed that the BBC have had their hand forced and will announce the next star of Doctor Who tomorrow.
sources have indicated that a Sunday newspaper is intending to scoop the BBC by announcing the name of the new Doctor this weekend. And in order to pre-empt the scoop, the BBC look set to announce the name tomorrow evening, just a single short week since the announcement of Matt Smith’s departure, and hardly time enough for that bombshell of a news story to sink in.
The casting of Matt Smith was announced with a TV special. Well, it was announced by Rich on Twitter, but the BBC did broadcast their TV show not too long afterwards. I was expecting they’d try more or less the same thing again.
Starburst go on to say that the new Doctor has already posed for photos with The Tardis. Then they go on to say Ben Daniels doesn’t have the role. And then they say that Domnhall Gleeson, Daniel Kaluha and Dominic Cooper are three “front runners” for the role.
I found all of that harder and harder to swallow the further Starburst went on.
They’re right about the actor already being cast, so why then swing over to this talk of “front runners”? That’s a nonsense.
We’ll keep our ears open just in case there is something going on this weekend, but I’m not expecting it. I think we’ll have sit patiently for just a little while longer…
And, hey, mysterious Sunday newspaper, if you were planning something, at least you now know to just push your story out online sooner, right? Honestly, if this race really is going on, there’s no way the BBC could come out on top.
UPDATE: The BBC have announced… that they have no announcement to make. Will a Sunday paper definitively scoop the casting this weekend? I doubt it very, very much.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014