USA Today has reported that British comics creator Jock is to take on the Savage Wolverine title after Joe Madueira and Zeb Wells’s short run on the book. And that he’ll be writing and drawing the book.
Jock, the co-re-imagined of The Losers and co-creator of Snapshot from Rebellion and Image, is best known for his Batman and 2000AD work. This will be his highest profile Marvel comic to date.
The comic will be set thousands of years in the future, with Wolverine crash landed on an alien planet. The paper quotes Jock as saying;
“Logan has the power of regeneration as we know, but he’d only ever be able to regenerate his own cells,” Jock explains. “So what if thousands, maybe even millions of years in the future, the world around him has continued to evolve, and he’s left literally, a Neanderthal man?
“He always chose to be the outsider, but now he has no choice. He doesn’t fit in.”
In Jock’s cosmic tale, however, Wolverine’s adaptation situation involves carving his place in a weird environment with various assorted beasts instead of a specific alien race. For example, in the first issue the antihero’s doing what he can to ascertain some kind of sustenance and way of life.
Because he’s such a bullish character in general, though, he can survive pretty well, Jock says. “Also, at this point in our story, he’s been around a long time, so he doesn’t take any crap. Not that he ever did, mind you.”
It’s the kind of comic that Marvel once may have put out in the Epic line. And hasn’t put out for quite some time…
- Separated At Birth – Moonstruck And Brave Chef Brianna? - April 29, 2017
- No, Calgary, Wonder Woman Isn’t Published By Marvel Comics… - April 29, 2017
- George Pérez Not At East Coast Comic Con Today, Amid Health Concerns - April 29, 2017
- 46 Sketches And Commissions Bought At C2E2, From Sharp To Stelfreeze, From Roux To Rossmo - April 29, 2017
- “A Poor Man’s Dave McKean” – A Two Year Long Journey To Finding A Niche - April 29, 2017