There were several rumours going around, attaching all manner of young actresses to role of Hilary Rodham, later Clinton, in James Ponsoldt‘s upcoming “Bill and Hilary origin story.” Spurious rumours, by the looks of things.
Because while this did seem to be the sort of role to generate a full-on Dragon Tattoo casting scramble, it apparently wasn’t. Because all the while, as rumours came and went, it looks like the filmmakers were quietly fixed on Carey Mulligan.
The Hollywood Reporter say that Ponsoldt and Mulligan are to “have a sitdown” before a deal is made, citing “insiders close to the production” as saying:
others actresses are still in the mix [sic]
But the version of events I better recognise is reflected in this Tweet from The Wrap’s Jeff Sneider.
All these names that British tabloids & others have thrown out there have ALWAYS been BS. It’s been Carey’s role to lose from the start…
— Jeff Sneider (@TheInSneider) June 5, 2013
I made a comment before that Mary Elizabeth Winstead was a good fit for the part and was pretty quickly corrected by somebody keen to tell me that Mulligan was all but signed. Seems like they weren’t pulling my leg after all, eh?
If Mulligan commits, and I’m now pretty sure she will, she’ll be playing Hilary Rodham as a young lawyer working on the impeachment of Richard Nixon, all the while romancing some chap called Bill Clinton. So there’s two more fun pieces of casting to look forward to.
I vote for Jason Segel as Clinton.
No? Not buying it?
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014