This is being written on an aeroplane waiting to take off. I am cramped, I am tired, I am sober, I feel like bouncing off the walls. A perfect time to read Bounce #1, out today.
Do you remember Speedball? Created by Steve Ditko for Marvel a one-last-chance-to-do-another-Spider-Man? And all the cracks made about the class A drug action in the title? And the questions asking if Speedball had been knocking back Speedballs to get like that? With all the little floaty bubbles around his head?
I get the feeling that Joe Casey did, with this new Image Comics launch title, Bounce, with pretty much the same super power set as Speedball, and getting his powers, it seems, from a drug trip.
The comic, though giving us a superhero/super villain fight scene, is more concerned with reality, and different ways to change it. The book gives us both the chemical and the electronic, with all the baggage both brings us. One has a faux spiritual element to it, the other is all military gung ho.
This looks like it may well be going on an Action Philosophers journey, exploring reality, drugs and The Man with a variety of complexities. What ever hard and fast truths are delivered are soon knocked away. I wonder what Steve would have thought of such an attitude, oven his Randian beliefs?
Yeah he’d have probably hated it. Welcome to Speedball Done Right.
Bounce #1 is published today.
- Chris Evans To Read A Superhero Bedtime Story On British TV Next Month - April 24, 2017
- People Are Adding “Nick Spencer Disclaimers” To Their Captain America T-Shirts - April 23, 2017
- Dark Matter Widens The Divide At DC Comics Between Dan DiDio And Geoff Johns - April 23, 2017
- Killing The 5 Year Timeline – Superman, Flash And Blue Beetle Spoilers For The Week Ahead, Rumbling Around C2E2 (UPDATE) - April 23, 2017
- Bleeding Cool Bestseller List 23rd April 2017 – Batman And Superman Beat Secret Empire, But Redneck And Monstress Rocket Up The Chart - April 23, 2017