This is being written on an aeroplane waiting to take off. I am cramped, I am tired, I am sober, I feel like bouncing off the walls. A perfect time to read Bounce #1, out today.
Do you remember Speedball? Created by Steve Ditko for Marvel a one-last-chance-to-do-another-Spider-Man? And all the cracks made about the class A drug action in the title? And the questions asking if Speedball had been knocking back Speedballs to get like that? With all the little floaty bubbles around his head?
I get the feeling that Joe Casey did, with this new Image Comics launch title, Bounce, with pretty much the same super power set as Speedball, and getting his powers, it seems, from a drug trip.
The comic, though giving us a superhero/super villain fight scene, is more concerned with reality, and different ways to change it. The book gives us both the chemical and the electronic, with all the baggage both brings us. One has a faux spiritual element to it, the other is all military gung ho.
This looks like it may well be going on an Action Philosophers journey, exploring reality, drugs and The Man with a variety of complexities. What ever hard and fast truths are delivered are soon knocked away. I wonder what Steve would have thought of such an attitude, oven his Randian beliefs?
Yeah he’d have probably hated it. Welcome to Speedball Done Right.
Bounce #1 is published today.
- Geek Food: The Lich King Ice Cream At San Diego Comic-Con - July 23, 2017
- Dan DiDio Reveals The Secret Origins Of The Comic Creators – And The Fans – At San Diego Comic-Con - July 23, 2017
- The First Thirteenth Doctor Cosplay At San Diego Comic-Con…Is By A Man - July 23, 2017
- David Duchovny Says He Had Difficulty Voice Acting For X-Files Audible Series - July 23, 2017
- First Look At The Doctor Who Christmas Special – And A Look Back At Peter Capaldi’s Time As The doctor - July 23, 2017