There’s nothing a vintage comic collector likes better than to see an obscure old comic given new importance by a film or tv show. It’s all well and good when something like the first appearance of Iron Man in Tales of Suspense #39 gains greater appreciation through three hit Iron Man films and the character’s star turn in The Avengers movie, but collectors have been seeking out that comic for decades.
It’s another thing when something relatively obscure comes out of nowhere to gain the same sort of spotlight. In the last issue of Bleeding Cool Magazine, we mentioned Tales to Astonish #13, the first appearance of Groot, and that’s exactly the kind of rise to fame we’re talking about here. Pre-hero Marvel monster books are cool, but before last summer, absolutely no one predicted that Groot would be one of the stars of a major Marvel/Disney film release.
That doesn’t mean we don’t try to predict such climbs to stardom. Guessing what the next big thing will be is a large part of the fun (and potentially part of the profit) of collecting.
You can find the full article in Bleeding Cool Magazine #4 at a comics retailer near you. Here is the Bleeding Cool Directory of retailers who have shown special support to the magazine and this website. Are you a retailer who would like to be included? Contact us.
- What Does Epcot Announcement Mean For Guardians Of The Galaxy 4 And Beyond? - July 15, 2017
- Roswell, The Beginnings Of The UFO Craze And What It Has To Do With DC Comics - July 8, 2017
- Image Comics, Howard Chaykin Issue Apology, Pull Cover For Divided States Of Hysteria #4 - July 1, 2017
- The Secret Origin Of Spider-Man’s “Friendly Neighborhood” - June 26, 2017
- Did Somebody Say Madam Satan? Pep Comics #16 Heats Up At Auction - June 16, 2017