I spent a good while today trying to confirm specifically which character William Fichtner is playing in the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles film, but I haven’t been able to lock it down. Nonetheless, I’m still pretty sure he’s playing Shredder.
And yes, that would mean the role has been somewhat ‘racebent,’ as the kids call it. Or ‘racebended.’ I’m not sure which. I’m not really down with the kids and their new slangy ways of expressing outrage at casual stereotyping, prejudice and exploitation.
I wonder if, assuming that we do have a non-Nipponese Shredder, there will be anything like the controversy we saw swell up when the Turtles were also racially reoriented, from terrestrial amphibians to aliens. The fuss saw the filmmakers pull a U-turn last time… something tells me it would take riots in the streets to get Fichtner displaced.
We’ll also see Fichtner in both Elysium and Lone Ranger this Summer. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles will be along in the US on June 6th 2014 and in the UK a couple of months later on August 15th.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014