Seeing as Disney have given the fifth Pirates of the Caribbean a release date they may as well go about hiring a director – or, as it happens, some directors – for the project.
Deadline believe the chief candidates are Fredrik Bond, a veteran of very many TV commercials who directed The Necessary Death of Charlie Countryman; Snow White and the Huntsman‘s Rupert Sanders; and Joachim Rønning and Espen Sandberg, who get a lot of good press these days for the Oscar-nominated Kon Tiki but have also been responsible for Max Manus: Man of War and Bandidas, with Penelope Cruz and Salma Hayek.
Pirates would most likely offer them a reunion with Cruz as her character came swinging out of part four on a rather loose thread.
If you assume that the job of director on a big tentpole machine movie like this is that of a stylist, then perhaps Rupert Sanders would be a fine pick too. For all of Snow White and the Huntsman‘s flaws, Sanders certainly created some memorable images throughout.
That release date, incidentally, is July 10th 2015. Ages away. Over two months later than the next Avengers. And we might even have seen Jurassic Park 4 before then.
I should imagine production will take place later this year, however, so let’s expect a director – one or two of the four above, or somebody else entirely – to be hired soon.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014