Vanguard Productions publisher J. David Spurlock has reported on his facebook page that comic book penciler and inker Dan Adkins died last week at age 76. Adkins worked for several publishers from the late 1960s through the mid-1980s, perhaps best remembered for his noteworthy run on Strange Tales and Doctor Strange. He contributed pencils or pencils and inks to several other Marvel titles, during this period, including the Avengers, Tales to Astonish, and X-Men, and for other publishers such as Warren and Tower on titles like T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents, Creepy, and Eerie.
Adkins was also a prolific inker, with credits including Silver Surfer, Incredible Hulk, Captain Marvel, Conan the Barbarian, for Marvel, and Detective Comics, Superman Family, Green Lantern, Superboy, and Warlord for DC, among countless others from the late 1960s through the mid-1980s.
I went to Reading PA yesterday to buy Steranko and Adkins dinner. Neither Steranko nor myself had been able to reach Adkins. After dinner with Steranko, I hit the road back to New York only to be phoned by Steranko who had just received word from Adkins’ son that Dan left this world last week. In addition to many other credits, including T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents, Dr. Strange and much of the best inking ever done for Marvel, Adkins served as an art director at Marvel, was key to Wood launching Witzend, and he also mentored a number of young artists including Paul Gulacy, Val Mayerik and P. Craig Russell. He is missed.
- Superman Lives: Official Justice League Movie Site Reveals Another (‘More Official’?) Team Shot With Superman - April 23, 2017
- ‘Happy Days’, ‘Joanie Loves Chaci’ Star Erin Moran Dead At 56 - April 22, 2017
- Frank Miller’s Sin City Goes Way Back In Time: Mid-20th Century, And Several Hundred Years Before That - April 22, 2017
- Frank Miller On His Possible Upcoming Superman Project, And The Genesis Of The Batman V Superman Dynamic - April 22, 2017
- Wonder Woman’s Iconic Moment: The Pre-History Of The Character As Revealed In The Wonder Woman Film - April 21, 2017