For folks that are new to comics, we’ve put together a quick look at five of the best trade paperbacks from these genres: kids, superhero, horror, alternative, and licensed titles. There are, of course, many different examples from which to choose in each category, but here are five heavy hitters that you can’t go wrong with…
Bone: The Complete Cartoon Epic in One Volume | Cartoon Books; $39.95
No matter how or when you discover writer-artist Jeff Smith’s fantasy-adventure-humor epic series Bone, there is one way to enjoy it best, and that’s getting the complete, 1,300-page tale in one deluxe trade paperback. It’s not something you’ll breeze through in 10 minutes, but it’s the kind of exploits in which “all ages” doesn’t mean “watered down for kids.”
The story starts with three cousins, Bone, Fone Bone, and Smiley Bone, getting chased out of their hometown and ending up in a mysterious valley, where they out of necessity make new friends, get sucked into encounters with dangerous new enemies and learn about themselves.
It’s an intimate epic. Think Lord of the Rings, but with a lot more laughs, and you’ve just about got it. In terms of quality, there’s a reason it’s been reprinted and reprinted and reprinted again.
Other Classics: The Simpsons, Archie Comics, Adventure Time, Avatar the Last Airbender
You can find the full article in Bleeding Cool Magazine FCBD Edition at a comics retailer near you. Here is the Bleeding Cool Directory of retailers who have shown special support to the magazine and this website. Are you a retailer who would like to be included? Contact us.
- Infinity Gauntlet Is Not The Title Of ‘Avengers 4’, Says James Gunn - April 25, 2017
- Hawkgirl Day: Celebrating The First Appearance Of One Of The First Female Comic Book Superheroes - April 25, 2017
- Kingsman: The Golden Circle First Trailer - April 24, 2017
- Superman Lives: Official Justice League Movie Site Reveals Another (‘More Official’?) Team Shot With Superman - April 23, 2017
- ‘Happy Days’, ‘Joanie Loves Chaci’ Star Erin Moran Dead At 56 - April 22, 2017