What’s wrong with teenagers today?
Fanta is launching a new campaign aimed at them, senior VP Wendy Clark quoted as saying “At its core, Fanta seeks to be the champion of play for teens. And science tells us teens need more play.”
Is that the latest euphemism?
Anyway, they are launching a new digital comic (sorry, graphic novel) in nine chapters with embedded games aimed at teenagers called Saving the Source. You’ll be pleased to know it was developed by Hollywood scriptwriting studio The Alchemists, briefed by a agency Ogilvy & Mather. Their exec said that “It could have been anything — a film, even — but for the sake of interactivity, it was turned into a nine-chapter graphic novel with hidden games and elements.”
It’s available through all platforms, including a printed comic (heaven forfend) being handed out. You can see it for yourself here.
But seriously, what kind of teenagers would read this? If anything it feels a little too young for my eight year old daughter (though she liked the bubbly Fanta and asked if she could have some. I was a stern dad and got her some orange juice instead).
Here are some screencaps. But if this squeaky clean, sub literate drek is the state of modern teenagers, then I fear for our future.
But odds are this is just brands and advertisers underestimating the intelligence and tastes of their customers again. At least I hope so. See what you think. I’m going to ask a teenager. When I can get them to stop calling everything “swaggy”, snapchatting each other or posting fuzzy photographs of marijuana in odd places on their Tumblrs.
I am old.
- Who Watches The Watchmen? Geoff Johns Does, At San Diego Comic-Con With The First Panels Of ‘Doomsday Clock’ - July 20, 2017
- Watch Halle Berry Chug A Glass Of Whisky At San Diego Comic-Con’s ‘Kingsman’ Panel - July 20, 2017
- The Props Of Blade Runner At San Diego Comic-Con – With A Surprise Appearance From Adam Savage - July 20, 2017
- Steven Moffat And Sue Vertue Talk Sherlock Holmes And Manga At San Diego Comic-Con - July 20, 2017
- Jakks Pacific’s San Diego Comic-Con Panel In 61 Photos – Will We Get A Nightwing Toy Now? - July 20, 2017