A recent alleged change of title seemed to show that Paramount and Platinum Dunes had backed down on their fandom-rattling plans to de-Mutant the Ninja Turtles and turn them into aliens.
Now Michael Bay, the film’s producer, has made it really very clear that the upcoming film will certainly be using “the ooze” for the halfshelled heroes’ origin story.
Here’s the quote, from Moviefone:
There was that quote saying that we’re making [the Ninja Turtles as] aliens. We’re not. It’s the ooze! It’s from the original source material. These are from the original writers, and I never went out to correct myself in the press. I do listen to the fans and I do want this to be authentic. I think they’re going to be really happy with this movie. When I see the digital stuff, the turtles look great.
Lest we forget, the original quote of Bay calling the characters aliens was caught on video. You can be seen it in the video below. He was never misquoted.
My best guess is that the production pulled a U-turn when they were shut down and sent back to the drawing board last year.
Personally, I don’t care if the characters are aliens, mutants or stoned kids in Hallowe’en costumes as long as it all goes somewhere, means something and is done with good reason.
At the same time, and seeing as it’s Jonathan Liebesman directing and Bay producing, I see no reason to feel optimistic about this film just because there’s a canister of mutagen kicking around.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014