Once upon a time, Warner Bros. had Steven Soderbergh and Scott Z. Burns working on their Man from UNCLE movie. To their own detriment, however, they didn’t throw on the greenlight and eventually, the project went back to the drawing board.
Now it’s going to keep Guy Ritchie and producer Lionel Wigram busy while possible Sherlock Holmes threequels are spun in the air.
Tom Cruise joined the project back in March, much to my surprise. I guess he can’t get enough of these franchise pictures. I don’t think I’d be able to cope with the load, myself.
At that time, I said:
There are two lead spies in The Man From UNCLE. I can’t imagine Cruise will be playing the Russian Illya Kuryakin, so I expect he’s the American Napoleon Solo, as played by Robert Vaughn in the original.
And now we’ve got our Kuryakin, and he’s Armie Hammer. And that’s not just my guess work matching up the characters either. Here’s how Deadline put it:
Hammer would play a version of the role originated by [David] McCallum.
Version how? I hope he’ll still be Russian.
Should you bee too young to remember UNCLE, you can see McCallum and Vaughn in the image at the head of the post. And, heck, while we’re here, let’s have a clip, the intro from an early episode.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014