Get ready with the pause button and magnifying glass because Joss Whedon knew where he was going with the second Avengers film before he had even worked out the first one. Who knows what kind of set-ups he might have woven in…
This is all as per an interview Whedon gave to Entertainment Tonight. You can watch the whole thing in this player, and I transcribed the Avengers-y bit below.
We should start shooting I think in February… I didn’t think I was going to do the second but I had an idea for it before I’d figured out the first one. You go into a movie not assuming there’s going to be… I’ve seen plenty of movies that were the first part of the trilogy that never happened and it’s terrible. You don’t save anything for the trip back. Having said that, though, I did sort of know, “Well, if they were to come back, I know what’s going to happen… It’s going to be awful.”
In the broadest sense he would seem to be talking about the inclusion of Thanos, but beyond that? It’s anybody’s guess how intricate his concept for the film was.
Even if Marvel movies started bombing at the box office right now – and they’re not going to – I expect there’s enough momentum to see us to the end of phase 3. It’s probably less certain how long Whedon will stay in the studio’s hot seat, right at Kevin Feige’s right hand.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014