Vanguard Productions publisher J. David Spurlock has reported on his facebook page that comic book legend Carmine Infantino has died today at age 87. Spurlock was a close friend of Infantino’s and author of the book The Amazing World of Carmine Infantino.
Infantino was born in 1925 in Brooklyn, attending the School of Industrial Art in Manhattan. His earliest comic work was in Marvel/Timely’s USA Comics #3 in 1942, but he is best known as a creator for designing the updated version of the Flash and his new alter ego Barry Allen with Robert Kanigher and Julius Schwartz in 1956, which would become a key impetus in revitalizing super-hero comics for what is now known as the Silver Age. Among countless other characters, Infantino also co-created the Barbara Gordon version of Batgirl.
The artist became one of the driving forces of DC by the mid-1960s, and became Art Director and then Editorial Director, where he would hire Jack Kirby to create the Fourth World titles. Infantino became DC Comics’ Publisher in 1971. Jenette Kahn replaced him in that role in 1976, and Infantino returned to freelance drawing.
Infantino did considerable work for Marvel in the late 70s to early 80s, on titles such as Spider-Woman, Star Wars, and others.
His friend J. David Spurlock wrote today:
In 2007, Joe Orlando introduced me to his mentor and best friend, legendary comic book creator, Carmine Infantino. Joe, Carmine and I became very close, very quickly. Carmine and I became even closer with the passing, a year and a half later, of our dear friend, Joe. A number of times, over the years, Carmine looked at me and said, “So you’re what Joe left me.” Well, today Carmine will be reunited with his old friend in time for Joe Orlando’s birthday. I hope to eat clams casino, drink wine, and listen to Volare with them again.
Photo by Luigi Novi
- Starting Today: CGC Insider – Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Comic Book Grading, And More - January 19, 2017
- The Rock Talks #BlackAdam And The Entire DCU: “Hope, Optimism & FUN… Prepare Yourselves DC Universe” - January 11, 2017
- Alien: Covenant Short Teaser Starts Unwrapping Your Christmas Present A Day Early - December 24, 2016
- Milwaukee Bucks Owner Marc Lasry Sells Wonder Woman #1 CGC 9.0 ‘Solicitation Copy’ For Record $291,100 - December 14, 2016
- Transformers: The Last Knight Poster – What… Has Happened To Bumblebee? - December 13, 2016