His role is being kept secret for now, but Arrested Development‘s Will Arnett has been cast in Ninja Turtles, the new Michael Bay-produced, Jonathan Liebesman-directed adaptation of the classic Eastman and Laird comics.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, he’s not playing Casey Jones – which is a relief. That part is in the script, though, as well as Splinter – I suppose he could be Splinter – and the chief villain, Shredder.
Though the version of Shredder in the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comics was Japanese and that would seem to rule out Arnett in a heartbeat, let me remind you that the original April O’Neil was a computer programmer and antiques dealer and they still gave the part to Megan Fox.
Okay, I’ll admit that the later incarnations of O’Neil made her a TV news reporter and day by day, hour by hour, that job seems to be evolving into something perfectly suited to Fox’s screen persona.
There’s a chance that Arnett is playing an original role. Seeing as the Turtles are aliens this time – supposing that the filmmakers have been bloody minded enough to stick to that plan – then I can see how Arnett might play an astronaut, perhaps. Or the president.
Or anything. Maybe even Vernon Fenwick.
Ninja Turtles seems to have started production. Expect a deluge of Turtle news over the next week or three.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014