I’ve been a little in love with Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski‘s screenplay for Big Eyes for a while now. It’s a biopic, of sorts, telling the story of Margaret and Walter Keane, the husband and wife behind the Big Eyes paintings and the oddball, pop-cultural phenomenon that they became.
If you don’t know the paintings, don’t go digging too far into the story because there’s a twist or two and you might want to see it play out in the movie.
Here are just a couple of the Big Eyes pics, though. Keane paintings in this style were mass reproduced and sold in very large quantities in the 50s and 60s.
The film has almost happened a few times before. Reese Witherspoon and Kate Hudson have both been attached to play Margaret, and for a while, Alexander and Karaszewski were going to direct the picture themselves.
According to Deadline tonight, however, it’s their Ed Wood director Tim Burton who is taking up the reins, and the Keanes are to be played by Amy Adams and Christoph Waltz. Sounds like a perfect line-up to me.
It’s an unusual project for Burton, maybe – if there’s a thread that leads from Beetlejuice to Batman and then on to Ed Wood, you’d have to go a good way further along to catch sight of Big Eyes. Burton’s definitely a fan of the Keanes, though, and he’s actually got just the skillset to realise this kind of tale well – it’s not for nothing that Ed Wood is his best picture, or at least one of.
It’s perhaps more odd that Burton will be working for the Weinsteins here. That doesn’t sound like particularly good chemistry…
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014