You may remember Cornelia the chimp from Rise of the Planet of the Apes. That’s her above. She was lightly framed as a possible love interest for Caesar, and it seems that the upcoming sequel, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, is going to take this further.
Whereas Cornelia was played by the rather unknown Devyn Dalton last time around,* this increased role – and, I believe, requirement for a vocal performance – has seen Matt Reeves and Fox decide to recast the role.
She told Vulture:
I married a man who … I’m gonna use the word obsessed. He is obsessed with Planet of the Ape. We had a chimp husband-and-wife cake topper at our wedding. At the cocktail hour, we played Planet of the Apes and Rise of the Planet of the Apes on two separate televisions in the bar area. And on the wedding gift I bought him, a vintage Rolex, I had it engraved, ‘Ape shall not kill ape.’ I was then told that, technically, it’s ‘Ape shall never kill ape,’ but there wasn’t enough space for engraving purposes.
Is that really an excuse? I hope Mrs. C doesn’t go and misquote Brazil on the back of my fifth-anniversary
Rolex 84-inch 4k TV.
Andy Serkis knew about the Apes-factor in Greer’s private life and compelled her to lobby for a role, she did and it worked. It’s a great story – though I’m sure Greer will tire of retelling it at the eventual Dawn press junkets – but best of all, it’s resulted in her being in the film.
*All of the apes in the last film, and this one too, are motion capture creations. These characters are always going to be created via FX work. Ape shall never play ape.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014