Quentin Blake is best known for illustrating many of Roald Dahl‘s best known books, but his career as an illkustrator of children’s books expands far and wide. I have very many fond memories of poring over his lines adorning the pages of my favourite books as a kid, and he remains a firm favourite in my home.
And now, thanks to Kickstarter, there’s a chance for me to see his work again, the Uncle books written by JP Martin reprinted in one volume, with an introduction by Neil Gaiman. The publisher writes;
I have, over the years, made contact with a few other people who love Uncle as much as I do, and I have asked some of them to provide brand-new and exclusive introductions for this project. Neil Gaiman, Justin Pollard and Garth Nix will each provide a short piece about the series, or a particular book, or the impact the stories had on them. James Currey, Martin’s grandson, will pen a new piece about the history of Uncle. Martin Rowson and Andy Riley will provide a new illustration each, as well as introductions. Kate Summerscale will revisit an article she wrote for the Guardian in the late nineties, expand and bring it up to date. I have permission from Richard Ingrams to reprint an article he wrote a few years ago for a small-press magazine, although I still need confirmation from the publishers.
I’m off to go and make a donation…
- Riz Ahmed And Billie Piper In Trailer For City Of Tiny Lights - January 19, 2017
- The Panels, Guest And Signing Schedules For 2000AD’s 40 Years Of Thrill-Power Festival Next Month - January 19, 2017
- Death’s Head Creators Hit Banbury, As Its Comic Con Returns - January 19, 2017
- Watchmen Lenticular Covers For Batman And Flash “The Button” Story Won’t Be In Previews – Retailers Have To Order Now - January 18, 2017
- Justice League/Mighty Morphin Power Rangers #1 Gets A Nice New Cover For Its Second Print… - January 18, 2017