I saw Trance tonight in the big ol’ Superscreen at Vue Stratford City, and the film was followed by an extensive Q&A with Danny Boyle. The venue was chosen, I think, not just because this is one of Vue’s newer, better cinemas, but also because it’s right on the doorstep of Olympic Park. This was Boyle “returning to the scene of the crime.”
The best question in the Q&A was the very last, from a very nervous young lady sitting directly behind me, and I wish I could repeat it here but it’s so completely and utterly spoilery, I think it should stay in the shadows for a bit.
But I will tell you some of what Boyle said in reply. This most definitely isn’t a spoiler, but it does tease interesting things to come.
When you get the DVD – if you get the DVD – there is a chronological version of Trance on there. It’s what they did with Memento, this kind of easter egg where you can see the film chronologically.
Boyle went on to explain how watching the film chronologically would change the viewer’s perception of the characters’ motivations. Again, I can’t really say why.
I will tell you, though, that the young lady’s question did shine a light onto something about Trance that doesn’t really add up, and Boyle’s answer wasn’t totally convincing. As with many of these mindgame twist movies, please don’t expect all of the threads to be tied up properly.
Anyhow, you’ll be able to hunt for loose ends yourself when Trance is released across the UK next Wednesday, March 27th, or across the US on April 5th.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014