Jenna-Louise Coleman‘s surprise appearance in Asylum of the Daleks was clearly one of the best received moments in recent Doctor Who. I can remember how Twitter and Tumblr lit up and the outpouring of glee was actually rather infectious. It worked because the audience were caught off guard.
But the BBC could have blown it by including the character and actress in their credits list. They didn’t, and it required a special bit of planning not to do so. By default, they’d have left Coleman on the list and rumbled the surprise.
Well – spoiler warning – they’ve now published the credits list for The Bells of Saint John, the big opener to the new half-season, and there’s a name and character included that probably shouldn’t have been.
Spoiling things behind a warning is one thing. Listing things in the supposedly “safe” quarters of a cast list is another entirely.
There’s a reason that the official plot blurb for the episode, and all of the clips and promotions so far released, stay far away from revealing The Great Intelligence’s appearance in this episode.
Ah well. Too late now. Literally tens of thousands of people will see this “reveal” ahead of the show.
Anyway, I’m personally not fussed – I don’t worry about being spoiled at all, and I know that many of you agree with me. But if Rich saw that? He’d wish he hadn’t.
UPDATE: Rich adds… too late, seen it Brendon! But that’s okay, so has someone else. The person responsiblke for putting these listings together tells us that the Grant mention is “not that big a spoiler.”
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014