Monsters director Gareth Edwards is finally underway with Godzilla, his long-awaited second picture – and I guess some folk have been anticipating a new, big-budget Godzilla movie for even longer than that.
Here’s a mini-vlog from the set. I understand that there are plans for more of these.
You may have noticed that this scene is taking place in Japan. We don’t know where in the movie this scene will come, or how much of the movie takes place in Godzilla’s mother country, but with Ken Watanabe being the one non-Westerner on the announced cast list I do wonder if Gareth Edwards and his writers have flipped the King of the Monsters paradigm.
King was an Americanised version of the first Godzilla, made by combining original Gojira footage with newly shot stuff telling the story of an American newsman in Japan. That was Steve Martin, as played by Raymond Burr, and I suppose Ken Watanabe could be his equivalent here, the one key Japanese character in a US-set storyline.
Meanwhile, outside set dressing seems to be going on for larger scale, more destruction-heavy scenes. Here are some snaps sent to the Godzilla Movies fansite.
That chopper appears to have not only been crumpled but also burned. An indicator that Godzilla will have his atomic breath once again?
This isn’t the kind of picture that can be filmed discretely in a studio someplace. Expect to see a lot more over the coming weeks and months.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014