Sci-fi-ish conspiracy thriller Utopia didn’t really hit big ratings for Channel 4 but the broadcaster is apparently feeling pretty bullish about their chances of growing the viewership as they have recommissioned the show for a second series.
Broadcast have some quotes about how happy everybody is to be bringing the show back. Here’s Jane Featherstone, an exec at Kudos, the production company:
The phenomenal audience response to Utopia over the six-week run was hugely rewarding for everyone involved. We are chuffed to bits that Jay, Piers and Sophie at Channel 4 have asked us to make another series of Utopia as this means we all get the chance to watch as Dennis unravels his unique and imaginative world even further.
And now Piers Wenger, sometime Doctor Who boss* and now head of drama at Channel 4:
Thanks to the extraordinary creativity of Dennis Kelly, Marc Munden and the team at Kudos, the first series of Utopia shocked and delighted critics and fans by turns. We are thrilled to announce the further adventures for Utopia’s eclectic cast of characters which are already shaping up to be more imaginative, outrageous and brilliantly intriguing than the first.
“Already shaping up”? I guess that Kelly has already started work, at least on outlines. I don’t know what any of this will mean for the turn around time, though. We could be waiting sometime, if only while the cast’s diaries line up.
Now, if you didn’t see any of the first run but you’d like to, Rich is giving away a copy now, as well as something pretty special. Or – if you move fast – the entire run is in 4OD for four more days at time of writing.
*Executive Producer of Doctor Who… but not of the episode Utopia, if I’m correct. Perhaps he just wanted one of his own.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014