The exact nature of New York in Escape From New York wasn’t the point, it was just a backdrop-cum-MacGuffin. You could tell more or less the same story in any number of closed-off, urban environs. Nonetheless, Joel Silver and Studio Canal are planning to reboot John Carpenter’s movies with a prequel story of how the Big Apple came to be a walled-off hellhole and then, if that works out, sequelise their prequel.
Presumably, the first sequel will echo the original film but any threequel would steer pretty clear of the genuinely oddball Escape From LA.
Deadline say that Studio Canal are financing development for the new series and looking for a writer right now.
It remains to be seen if the first film requires a Snake Plissken character, and Silver and Co. might do well to leave him out and duck the inevitable comparisons between whoever they choose and Kurt Russell for as long as possible.
The Thing do-over was a kind of prequel too. I guess it’s either in vogue, or just Hollywood’s best idea for how to follow John Carpenter.
Now, here’s a game for you: what would you even call a prequel to Escape From New York?
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014