There had only been three Mickey Mouse shorts in the last thirty years – Mickey’s Christmas Carol, The Prince and the Pauper and Runaway Brain – but Disney are now about to drop nineteen new ones in the space of just a few months.
The catch, if I should call it that, is that these new toons have been produced for TV and web viewing. The attendant budgetary constraints are manifest in the limited animation. You’ll see it again and again: while one or two characters are in action, several others may as well be part of the backdrop. At other times, a mouth will move, for example, while the rest of a face, and indeed body, stays rock solid.
At least the modernist stylings suit this minimalism. And I do rather like the character redesigns.
So, here’s Croissant de Triomphe, the first in the new series.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhjTlW10cUg
That… could have used a few more gags, maybe.
Still, it’s good to have him back and I look forward to seeing more of these shorts when they start rolling out at the end of July.
And seeing as each of the new toons will have a different setting all of its own, I wonder if they’ll all be in the same style or if there’s some variety to look forward to?
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014