The core idea of Bond 24, which will probably but not definitely get a better title before release – Octopussy, eh? – is said that have sprung from the combined imaginations of Sam Mendes and John Logan, the director and writer of Skyfall.
Logan is expected to stay on and write the film, and Mendes was, we heard, “75%” set to come back too.
But he’s decided not to. Empire have a quote that explains his decision:
It has been a very difficult decision not to accept Michael and Barbara’s very generous offer to direct the next Bond movie. Directing Skyfall was one of the best experiences of my professional life, but I have theatre and other commitments, including productions of Charlie And The Chocolate Factory and King Lear, that need my complete focus over the next year and beyond.
Reading between the lines, this suggests that Eon are looking to get the ball rolling on this next picture with something like their old, routine regularity. Does this mean we could be seeing Bond return in late 2014? I’m sure Sony’s bank managers will be pleased to hear it.
So far we have two people making it clear they won’t be directing the next Bond – Sam Mendes and Danny Boyle. Hardly a narrowing of the field, particularly in view of the oddball and left wing choices we’ve seen before. I wouldn’t even like to hazard a wild guess as to who the honour will fall upon…
…oh, okay then. I’ve got a weird hunch that Ang Lee is going to be on the shopping list.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014