It’s amazing to think that John Carter, the iconic protagonist of the Warlord of Mars series and the sci-fi genre’s prototypical space hero, first appeared in print over a hundred years ago. One of Edgar Rice Burroughs’ two most beloved characters (the other being Tarzan, Lord of the Jungle), John Carter appeared in stories that blended two-fisted adventure with exotic alien landscapes, serving as an antecedent for later fantasy epics (like Robert E. Howard’s Conan the Barbarian) and serialized space adventures (Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers).
A century since Carter’s first appearance in the novel A Princess of Mars, Dynamite Entertainment has breathed new life into the epic sci-fi fantasy, building a complex and thrilling franchise that faithfully continues the story of Burroughs’ displaced Confederate soldier. Furthermore, Dynamite’s creative talent has successfully taken Dejah Thoris, Carter’s red-skinned love interest, and reinforced her status as a heroine worthy of her own ongoing series and spin-off projects.
You can find the full article in Bleeding Cool Magazine #3 at a comics retailer near you. Here is the Bleeding Cool Directory of retailers who have shown special support to the magazine and this website. Are you a retailer who would like to be included? Contact us.
- CGC Insider #12 – Ink Transfer and Color Rub - January 4, 2018
- 2017 Collectibles Countdown #2: Funko Hunting - December 31, 2017
- 2017 Toys Countdown #3: The Toys That Made Us Is Already My Favorite Netflix Series - December 31, 2017
- 2017 Collectibles Countdown #5: Kingdom Hearts Funko Box - December 31, 2017
- 2017 Games Countdown #3: Killing Jason in the Friday The 13th Game - December 30, 2017