Work is underway on Guardians of the Galaxy with pre-production in full swing over here in the UK. Though he’s likely pretty busy right now, not to mention strained, director James Gunn has taken some time out to answer fan questions solicited via Twitter and Formspring.
Conversation topics included are pretty varied, ranging from why he doesn’t like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid* to what he thinks of the Occupy movement** but, unsurprisingly, Gunn stresses that he can’t comment on Guardians of the Galaxy.
Except when he does.
Here’s a compilation of the little Guardians-related, sometimes just Guardians-adjacent, scraps that Gunn was able to share in his recent burst, and over the last few weeks. We start with a bit of ducking, but then a few bits and pieces start to come out.
- Release date for GotG is August 2014. Can you give us an idea of a timeline for the process to make this film. What exactly happens in pre-production and when do you start filming and when do you expect to end filming?
A: Well, I’m getting a LOT of questions about GotG on here. But, unfortunately, EVERYTHING about the movie is currently a secret. The only thing people know is what was announced at Comicon, and that I’m rewriting and directing. Everything else you read on the Internet is pure rumor and speculation.
That said, I appreciate the questions and interest, but it’s going to be a good long while before I tell you more about the movie other than how incredibly excited I am to be a part of it.
- I know you are busier than all god damned hell, and will probably be to big to ever be on my show, but any interest in doing my Mostly Harmless Podcast? We can talk about my hometown of Shreveport and your early film obsessions!
A: I can’t even do any interviews at all right now. This is the closest thing. And – btw – I can’t answer all these Guardians of the Galaxy questions right now. We have lots of surprises in store for you guys, but we can’t let them out for a while. That said, don’t believe everything you read!
- On average, how many Facebook messages do you receive a day?
A: A couple dozen perhaps. I am really really sick of being sent resumes since taking on Guardians, however. Unless I already know you, if you want to be sure that I will never hire you a good way is to message me a bunch of stuff online.
- Any chance for Crimson Bolt Join to the Guardians of the Galaxy?
- Hows the movie going in Blighty?
A: Awesome. I have an amazing crew of folks here with me. It’s a privilege to be working with them.
- Do you think you guys will have a television teaser for GotG for the next Super Bowl in 2014?
A: This wouldn’t really be in my own thinking at the moment. I’m just trying to make a great movie.
- Hi I would like to know if you are holding any open casting call for the film Guardians of the Galaxy as I am very interested. Thank you.
A: No we aren’t, sorry. And most of our casting will happen out of the UK.
- Why are Chris McCoy and Nicole Perlman credited as screenplay writers for GotG on IMDb? I thought you were the sole writer.
A: They both wrote scripts before mine.
- Have you cast anyone in GotG yet? Just a yes or no, I don’t want details.
A: And I can’t even give you a yes or no. No Guardians questions can be answered here for the time being. And this goes for all the rest of them too!
- Do you know when the lead for Guardians of the Galaxy will be released?
A: When we have one.
- Are you working on anything other than Guardians of the Galaxy at the moment?
A: I’m putting together a couple of scripts of mine with other directors attached, lower budget films. One of them is Pure with David Yarovesky directing. But my workload is 99.5% GotG.
- Nerdy question, but given your current gig, have you been able to get an early glimpse of what Brian Michael Bendis is doing with the upcoming Guardians books? If so, what did you think?
A: No, I haven’t seen anything Brian has done yet, but I do know some snippets of what’s in there. I’m a huge Bendis fan and definitely excited to see it.
- Saw your post about the story board accident. do you have to be good at drawing to make them? Are they for the studio to see or just for your own use?
A: My storyboards are pretty crappy. I usually have them simply for my own use. On a big film like Guardians, I give them to the storyboard artists so they can do better versions.
- The big question is.. will Lloyd Kaufman get a GotG cameo?
A: You’ll have to wait until August 1st, 2014 to see.
- When you were a child, what was your dream movie too make….and have you made it?
A: I’m making it now.
- Do you plan on doing any video blogs while in the creative process on Guardians of the Galaxy that will take the fans through it with you?
A: Doubtful, simply because my time is so crazy. Who knows, however.
Read into that little lot how you will.
*Because, he says, “Because there are so many amazingly wonderful Westerns out there, and this piece of sentimental, poorly-shot drivel is considered a classic. Any movie with slow motion shots of lovers laughing together on a bicycle can’t be taken seriously.”
**He thinks “it’s a good thing for the most part.”
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014