I believe it’s only a matter of time before Marvel characters, likely in the mode of their big screen incarnations,* are a fixture at all of the Disney theme parks around the globe. It’s going to get started in Hong Kong’s Disneyland Resort, with the characters set to pup up “in the coming few years.”
The surprising source of this news was Hong Kong Financial Secretary John Tsang, who dropped the geek-blasting bombshell while delivering his 2013-14 budget speech.
Hong Kong Disneyland will launch a new night-time parade and put in place a themed area featuring ‘Marvel heroes’, the first of its kind in the world.
First, but I’m sure it won’t be the last.
The extent of this themed area could run from a single small attraction, as loose and baggy as just having a few people in costumes standing around, all the way up to a themed “land” to compete with anything Disney have to offer. We’re on course for the full monty sooner or later, I believe. Let’s see how fast Hong Kong Disneyland get this rocket off.
And then let’s see how long it takes Star Wars to expand its presence in the parks too.
Thanks to Inside the Magic for the pointer.
*At least so far as the Marvel Movieverse characters are concerned. So I’d expect that the X-Men, Fantastic Four and Spider-Man, if they appear at all, are likely to be modelled on their comic book or perhaps animated iterations.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014