Yesterday, I had a good old chin wag with Barbara Muschietti, the co-writer and producer of Mama. The film is in UK cinemas from today, with “Guillermo Del Toro Presents” loud and proud in all of the marketing. He sure does like his horror movies.
I’ll be bringing you a lot more of what Muchietti told me this afternoon but first, time to put the brakes on a rumour.
Screen Daily this week published the following quote from Universal’s president of international, David Kosse:
We think there’s potential for a Mama franchise. We’d like to do another one. But those conversations are in the early stages.
How early? How about so early they haven’t even started yet. Muschietti told me:
We were as surprised as you. There has not been any talk at all about it. I read the initial article… I think the journalist asked if that was a possibility and David Kosse didn’t shut it down but he didn’t go into it.
I suggested to Muschietti that the comment was maybe the result of a leading question, then, and she agreed, adding:
There’s nothing going on right now… but we are actively trying to find our new project.
I’m less interested in a Mama 2 than I am just another film from Barbara and her brother, co-writer and director Andres Muschietti. Whatever they move onto next, which sounds like it most probably won’t be a sequel, I’ll be looking forward to it.
Lots more on Mama later.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014