In this case, it’s out with Cameron Diaz and in with Ari Graynor, out with John Michael Higgins and in with David Alan Grier.
Grier is the new principal, likely with an expanded role as the sitcom series spins on, and Graynor has the title role.
The show isn’t a continuation of the film but a proper do-over, apparently featuring new characters that loosely fit the patterns of the original. It’s a move from the Buffy playbook.
Deadline describe the set up:
The pilot centers on hot, confident, unapologetic former trophy wife Meredith Davis who becomes a teacher to find a new man after her husband leaves her without a dime. A smart and savvy survivor, she sets her sights on a teaching career when she hears there are a lot of rich single dads at a local middle school.
It seems pretty obvious to me that Graynor got the nod for her Diaz-ness. She’s not a Cameron clone, but there’s definitely some similarities. They both sound pretty nicotiney to me, for one thing.
And while Grier and Higgins obviously look rather different – they’re not racially the same, for one thing – they do have a similar “I like lift muzak” vibe.
The Bad Teacher pilot is being directed by Burt Wonderstone‘s Don Scardino and produced by Gene Stupnitsky and Lee Eisenberg who wrote the original feature.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014