This is the solicit for AVENGERS #11, due out in May:
JONATHAN HICKMAN (W) • MIKE DEODATO (A)
COVER BY DUSTIN WEAVER
“WAKE THE DRAGON”
• As Shang-Chi battles an ancient enemy, the Avengers hang out in Hong Kong’s swankiest casino.
• Captain Marvel, Black Widow and Spider-Woman find out it doesn’t pay to gamble in the spy business.
• Cannonball and Sunspot play craps with a bunch of AIM Agents. AND WIN!
32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99
And this is the cover:
Why, in a story taking place in part of China, are all the Avengers (other than Shang-chi) dressed up in Japanese-inspired costumes? We asked Adi Tantimedh who told us;
Spider-Woman’s faux-schoolgirl uniform costume is definitely a fetish cod-Japanese costume riff. There are no sailor schoolgirl uniforms in China or Chinese culture.
The fellow in yellow is a swipe from the Japanese character Jet Jaguar.
Captain Marvel’s swords are Katanas, which are specifically Japanese. Her big shoulderpads are from, again, Japanese samurai clothing. It’s not armour, but ceremonial..
And Black Widow’s cyber headgear is from Ghost In The Shell’s Major Kusanagi.
Anyone remember what country that’s from?
Dustin Weaver, the cover artist, is a massive Japanophile. Is it possible he may occasionally be just too much of one? I chatted with Jonathan Hickman and told me;
What’s really going to screw everyone up is that the entire issue the team are in tuxedos and evening gowns.
Yes, yes it would.
- More Comics Folk Attend Anti-Trump Women’s Marches Around The World #WomensMarch - January 21, 2017
- James Hudnall Pleads For His Friends To Give Trump A Chance - January 21, 2017
- Comics Folk React To (Or Are Part Of) The Women’s Marches Against Donald Trump - January 21, 2017
- Peter Capaldi Joins The Anti-Trump Women’s March In London – Potential Spoiler For The 13th Doctor? - January 21, 2017
- Firefly Fans Represent In Anti-Trump Women’s March In Chicago… - January 21, 2017