This is the solicit for AVENGERS #11, due out in May:
JONATHAN HICKMAN (W) • MIKE DEODATO (A)
COVER BY DUSTIN WEAVER
“WAKE THE DRAGON”
• As Shang-Chi battles an ancient enemy, the Avengers hang out in Hong Kong’s swankiest casino.
• Captain Marvel, Black Widow and Spider-Woman find out it doesn’t pay to gamble in the spy business.
• Cannonball and Sunspot play craps with a bunch of AIM Agents. AND WIN!
32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99
And this is the cover:
Why, in a story taking place in part of China, are all the Avengers (other than Shang-chi) dressed up in Japanese-inspired costumes? We asked Adi Tantimedh who told us;
Spider-Woman’s faux-schoolgirl uniform costume is definitely a fetish cod-Japanese costume riff. There are no sailor schoolgirl uniforms in China or Chinese culture.
The fellow in yellow is a swipe from the Japanese character Jet Jaguar.
Captain Marvel’s swords are Katanas, which are specifically Japanese. Her big shoulderpads are from, again, Japanese samurai clothing. It’s not armour, but ceremonial..
And Black Widow’s cyber headgear is from Ghost In The Shell’s Major Kusanagi.
Anyone remember what country that’s from?
Dustin Weaver, the cover artist, is a massive Japanophile. Is it possible he may occasionally be just too much of one? I chatted with Jonathan Hickman and told me;
What’s really going to screw everyone up is that the entire issue the team are in tuxedos and evening gowns.
Yes, yes it would.
- IDW Cut Comics By 25% – And More First Strike, Star Trek, And Black Crown From The Diamond Retailer Presentation - July 21, 2017
- What It Looks Like When Retailers Race To Get Exclusive San Diego Comic-Con Swag - July 21, 2017
- Boom! Studios’ 5 Biggest Problems In Comics, And A ‘Clueless’ Graphic Novel - July 21, 2017
- Comic Book Legal Defense Fund To Train Comic Book Retailers In Their Legal Rights - July 21, 2017
- “The Darkest Jeff Lemire Since Animal Man”: Valiant Retailer Presentation At San Diego Comic-Con - July 21, 2017