Some of the earliest Death Of The Family crossover comics didn’t really deserve the livery splashed across their covers. The Joker just turned up at the end saying “hello” or “have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight” or whatever.
And now, after we’ve had Batman #17’s epic conclusion with a Death Of The Family Dinner, is that it? All finished? No, not quite.
Because Batman And Robin has no crossover tag on its cover. Yet inside… it’s everything to do with the story. The three main characters, Bruce Wayne, Alfred Pennyworth and Damian Wayne, asleep. And dreaming.
Elements such as the threat of water in Death Of The Family are revisited here in dreams as Batman gets to hunt his great white whale as Ahab did. Damian view himself and those around him, echoing aspects of Batman Inc as well. And Alfred Pennyworth has what is destined to be a classic moment. There will be tattoos from this. Nothing happens in this comic. Yet everything happens.
Basically if you stopped at Batman #17, you missed the story’s proper ending. And it’s also out today.
- Comic Creators At Ru Paul’s Drag Con, In Los Angeles This Weekend - April 29, 2017
- Separated At Birth – Moonstruck And Brave Chef Brianna? - April 29, 2017
- No, Calgary, Wonder Woman Isn’t Published By Marvel Comics… - April 29, 2017
- George Pérez Not At East Coast Comic Con Today, Amid Health Concerns - April 29, 2017
- 46 Sketches And Commissions Bought At C2E2, From Sharp To Stelfreeze, From Roux To Rossmo - April 29, 2017