Some of the earliest Death Of The Family crossover comics didn’t really deserve the livery splashed across their covers. The Joker just turned up at the end saying “hello” or “have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight” or whatever.
And now, after we’ve had Batman #17’s epic conclusion with a Death Of The Family Dinner, is that it? All finished? No, not quite.
Because Batman And Robin has no crossover tag on its cover. Yet inside… it’s everything to do with the story. The three main characters, Bruce Wayne, Alfred Pennyworth and Damian Wayne, asleep. And dreaming.
Elements such as the threat of water in Death Of The Family are revisited here in dreams as Batman gets to hunt his great white whale as Ahab did. Damian view himself and those around him, echoing aspects of Batman Inc as well. And Alfred Pennyworth has what is destined to be a classic moment. There will be tattoos from this. Nothing happens in this comic. Yet everything happens.
Basically if you stopped at Batman #17, you missed the story’s proper ending. And it’s also out today.
- Being Spider-Man And Holding A Pig At San Diego Comic-Con - July 25, 2017
- Alex Ross’s Design For The Post-Secret Empire Marvel Legacy Falcon - July 25, 2017
- The Inhuman Royals Return To Earth In 2018 For Marvel Legacy - July 25, 2017
- Riverdale Goes Darker For Season 2 – A Report From San Diego Comic-Con - July 25, 2017
- Donny Cates And Mags Visaggio On Marvel Legacy One-Shots – But Which Ones? - July 25, 2017