Zeus Comics in Dallas, Texas, is the first comic store to state that they will not be carrying the print edition of Adventures Of Superman, while Orson Scott Card writing a story for the comic. On Facebook, they posted;
Zeus Comics will not be carrying the print edition of writer Orson Scott Card’s Superman.
Card sits on the board of the National Organization of Marriage which fights against marriage equality. His essays advocate the destruction of my relationship, that I am born of rape or abuse and that I am equated with pedophilia. These themes appear in his fiction as well.
It is shocking DC Comics would hire him to write Superman, a character whose ideals represent all of us.
If you replaced the word “homosexuals” in his essays with the words “women” or “jews” he would not be hired. But I’m not sure why its still okay to “have an opinion” about gays? This is about equality.
From my husbands tumblr – a scan of a recent Superman comic and what’s interpreted as possible gay teen suicide.
I did ask if the store had carried Orson Scott Card’s Ultimate Iron Man series for Marvel, or their adaptations of his Ender’s Game books and was told;
we did at the time. Some of this discovery about OSC happened over time. His NOM activism for example started in 2009 – well after Ult Iron Man.
You can read previous discussion on this topic below;
- We Are All Monsters – A Cadaver’s Confession - January 22, 2017
- Through The Eyes Of An Elephant-Man - January 22, 2017
- ‘Bout Time … Deadpool Meets Gwenpool - January 22, 2017
- Bleeding Cool Bestseller List – 22nd January 2017 – “I Ordered Really Low On Monsters Unleashed But It Wasn’t Low Enough” - January 22, 2017
- So Why Were DC Comics April 2017 Solicitations Delayed A Week Anyway? - January 22, 2017