Reminding me of several other attempts to re-envision children’s literary classics, Warner Horizons’ in-development show Red Brick Road would be a “dark” take on Wizard of Oz that seems driven more by how things will look rather than what they might mean.
Consider, for example, American McGee’s Alice videogame, or the Tin Man TV series. Many folk have tried to bolt “cool” or “bad-ass” looks to these simple stories over the years.
Not to say, of course, that Red Brick Road might not have a lot more to it and eventually prove very compelling – it’s just that all we have to go on, right now, is some concept art.
Here’s a picture of a Witch Assassin, courtesy of The Hollywood Reporter.
A quick Google suggests that this image came from designer Joon Ahn. Mysterious…
And there’s also this Tin Man image doing the rounds. I think this one was originally drafted by one Fred Augis.
So, what’s the deal here? It’s a show created by a concept artist but he’s not using his own work for the concept art? Um… okay. That’s one way of applying your skill set.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014